Thursday 8 February 2007

Famine and Feast



What a week of contrasts. Two days on Blithfield again produced no fish for me, though Kevin got a small pike each day. The fishing was hard for everyone with a hard frost followed by a flat calm day with bright sunshine. Four twenty pound plus fish were caught, three on the first day and one on the second. Astonishingly, one of these was caught by Neville Fickling - his second from the water this century! This had quite an effect on Neville, making it appear to all that he was on some form of medication. I even managed to get this rare picture of him on Blithfield and awake!



I was able to get out on my own with the boat on Tuesday and Wednesday and had a great catch of fish on the first day. I was keen to try the new swim that Kevin and I found last week and it really is turning out to be a belter. I got a jack and doubles of 16.02, 16.02, 16.03, 17.14, 18.00, 18.04 and 19.03 - over 100lbs of pike in the boat. At one stage I got two runs at once, boating both fish and the biggest was caught just as the light was going.


The next day was spent moving around and trying out new spots. It was a gamble that didn't work out this time as I only got a jack and a twelve pounder but I know it will pay off in the long run as there are certainly other little gems out there to find. That makes a total of twenty double figure pike so far this year but as yet, I haven't taken a fish over twenty pounds!




I had to pack in early anyway as I was giving a slide show to the North Lakes branch of the PAC. I was well looked after by Russ Newlove, Tommy Thompson and the lads there and a good night was had by all - I hope.

No comments: